Sunday, June 25, 2006

What Do You Want to Make of This?


So, here I was - taking a walk in lovely one night on a recent business trip to........

New York?

San Francisco?

Los Angeles?

.....no to all of the above. Come on, you knew San Francisco was out. Not much Jesus promoting going on in that town!!! (Pardon my little joke for all you Bible carriers down in the City by the Bay....I know you are trying....just outnumbered).

Actually, I was in Des Moines, Iowa - more specifically, WEST Des Moines, Iowa, which is NOT to be confused with Des Moines, Iowa. Well, you could confuse the two and I don't actually think anyone would care a whole bunch. If you are outside of Des Moines, no one notices and if you are in Des Moines proper or Des Moines West, their probably just happy to have you mention Des Moines for anything.

Anyway, I am out on my walk and I come across this sign - sitting smack dab in front of a mega-church. Right out there in good midwest, strong values America. I didn't really know what to make of it.....and I still don't. There is a part of me that wants to say, "it's all for a good cause...it's just for fun.....lighten up." There is another part of me that remembers Jesus throwing money changers out of the temple and, if there was ever a game that was purely about money, it has to be monopoly.

Then.....you have that whole not taking the Lord's name in vain and we shouldn't blasphemize thing
- to contend with as well.

Nope....I still don't know what to think - and I figure, at this point, it really isn't for me to judge one way or the other. I don't even think that I will throw an opinion out at it. It just seems like a further progression of the mainstream church following society rather than society following the mainstream church....

....which may not be a bad thing at all - as neither mainstream society or mainstream church have done much to hold my interest for quite some time.

I still, however, love that Jesus guy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...that is an odd game. Funny when you first look at it. Still funny if you don't think about Jesus getting upset about the moneychangers in the temple...mind you, I don't think Jesus passed around an offering tray, either. Wonder if the bible school dorms have weekend turning-water-into-wine parties?
(sorry, Jesus, just joking)

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Nut. This was amusing and depressing at the same time. I related to your comment about being outnumbered in San Francisco. My son has been to a few Pro-Life marches there. In San Francisco, beleive me, THAT takes some courage.

Anonymous said...

You don't need to carry a Bible nor walk in a "pro-life" march to love Jesus...."Judge not lest ye be judged...."

Brad said...

Wow! That's a first. I have done several VBS programs- most with silly names - none as twisted as Jesus-opoly though.

I prefer - Bible Adventure-land.
- SonShine Ranch - and of course - Jesus Jungle Jam.

THX
bg

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »