Saturday, June 03, 2006

Earliest Memory - A Long Walk

(a special post for SundayScribblings

A young boy. His two older brothers gone to school. Living in the country. His mother staying at home from work a little longer than originally planned to take care of "the little afterthought." A long way to the grocery store. I've gone back in adult life. While the original road is gone, I have it estimated at 4.5 miles. The mother loads him into his wagon. There is no second car. She pulls him along the long road. There are no sidewalks. She gets her groceries. She puts them in the wagon. They turn around and head back. The wagon full of groceries and a 4 year old boy trailing along.

I wonder if making a 4 year old walk 4 miles would be called child abuse today. I call it doing what you have to do.....and those things are usually good for you.

6 comments:

paris parfait said...

It's amazing what one can do when there's really no choice. People are strong, although they often don't realise it until challenged. I was a single mom for a long time and it was a struggle. But I discovered I was resilient and could do whatever was necessary to make things happen. Sounds like your mother tried her best to do what was necessary - and that you turned out well. Thanks for sharing this poignant story.

Mimey said...

There is no first car in my children's earliest memories. Is that child abuse?

Mimey said...

And can I add how painful it is to read of you being the 'afterthought' if that is what you are.

Annie Jeffries said...

It was the way things were. Not good. Not bad. Just making do with what you had. In this case, two feet. I bet you took a long nap when you got home.

deedee said...

That's a great story, a mom doing what she had to do and a little boy soaking it all in, forming his first memories. Going back puts it all in a different perspective.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this story. As a young single mother, I often walked with my children to where we needed to go. Never 4.5 miles though! Our walks usually included stories and talks, cool drinks and a snack "for the road." Did your mother do those things with you on your travel?