Saturday, July 29, 2006

My Two Cents


(A Special Post for Sunday Scribblings)



Some Say That I Am Cheap

I live on common ground
Though could afford to dwell among the elite
vacations in modest quarters
Yet could enjoy extravagant villas
Some say that I am cheap

The finest cars can grace my garage
Wines of the finest vintage could tumble across lips
Young women beyond number
could pass before my threshold
All these things I am told that I should desire
Am I cheap or is it that I can't hear

Things pass
Decaying hubris to soil
Hands wither in search of lotion
Unnecessarily exposed to winter's harsh touch

I spend my money to purchase time
Time to spend alone
To conjure upon snails and window pots
The next time we meet
You will find out what they have told me
What value do you bring to me
Tell me now who is cheap

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

paris parfait said...

Brilliant, Scott! Really well done. I like how your poem shows material possessions aren't what's important. Although I think the last lines have an underlying hint of sadness - whether for the writer or for the other person, I'm not sure. Perhaps the journey is a double-edged sword for both? I like to think that each brings gifts to the other, by sharing their unique experiences.

Verity said...

Fantastic. Thank you!

TMTW said...

I agree with the others.

Besides, a penny saved is a penny earned.

Anonymous said...

I loved your writing this week, Scott. =) Amusing, seeing as that Australia doesn't even have 1c pieces anymore - our smallest currency is a 5c coin.

-Aly

Madeleine said...

absolutely....how sad that people place so much importance on these material possessions. time can be lost and is something we can never replace.
much more valuable.

helo, btw i found you through sunday scribblings :)

Michelle said...

Edgy and interesting!

gma said...

Enjoyed this one alot!

Mimey said...

Value is in the eye of the beholder, as with most things judging from the outside isn't fair or helpful. Enjoyed reading this.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.