Sunday, July 30, 2006

HappyUP!!!....BlessItUP!!!


How does a guy like me get so lucky? - I ask that question a lot.

I went out harvesting last night - and filled up about four bags of tomatoes and peppers to "drop and run" on some friends doorsteps.

I go back out tonight - and look how much more there is!!!

Friends - I am not sitting on a huge parcel of land. It's a regular city lot. I don't own a green thumb. I tilled, I put the things in some potting soil, I staked them for support, and I watered them. Look at how much I have been blessed with!!!! HE sure is a good father and provider for us.

....and this is after I have had to toss a ton of tomatoes - which I am attributing to not being totally "on it" during the two weeks of 100-110 temps that we got blasted with here in Sacratomatoe.

"But I live in an apartment" - hey, if you have some sun, get a 5 gallon bucket. I have heard of people that do it. Virtually weed free and probably a lot easier way to go.....no tilling!!!

It's exciting - this was my first shot at a full size garden. I remember watching the first little flowers and buds and wondering if I would get much output.....

.....oh brother!!! - output????

I don't have kids - but, if I did, I think this would be a wonderful thing to share with them. The vegetables and the growing cycle is a microcosm of child rearing. You plant, you nourish, you protect the best that you can, ................and then you eat them????? Stop that!!!! Go wash your mouth out. No....you release them.

I'd even have my kid be the neighborhood tomatoe guy - I'd go to some neighbors and give them some dough to barter with little Noah Nutter as he peddled the wares that he was out there growing right alongside me. Yup.....he'd even have his own plants.

Hey....I might not even need to set the neighbors up - how much would you pay for that sinkful of homegrown, organic, fresh from the garden veges!!!

Hey....now that I think of it - maybe I shouldn't be giving these things away. This was a money makin deal and I let it slide right by.

Oh well - there's always next year for capitalism. Then again, I think the joy that I saw in one couple's face last night when they caught me making a drop on their doorstep. They were beside themselves. They used to grow tomotoes themselves and they said, "these are the first fresh vegetables we have gotten all year." We went inside and sat a spell and enjoyed each other's company for awhile....

.hmmmmmm....maybe I made something on this deal after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those tomatoes looks scrumptious !!

I'd eat those -- if I ate tomatoes. =P

Would gladly take some peppers, though!

-Aly

paris parfait said...

I love tomatoes and yours look fabulous! And how wonderful that you're sharing with the neighbours. Reminds me of the kind of place where I grew up, when people cared about each other and helped each other through tough times. I think you must be very popular in your neighbourhood! And your last line says it all.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! credit report Infiniti g35 upgrades botox use Ncaa soccer scholarships New hampshire liposuction Amp surveillance Effexor xr cheap Teens sex in brazilia Driver web cam creative Ass traffic redhead Cytomel and neurontin and lexapro associate degrees online mcse rousseau hockey clinic Sex toon sluts http://www.domain-name-0.info/How_to_grow_blackberries_in_indiana.html Licht source for projectors Annonces colocation nancy priced paxil Free paris hilton sextape