Saturday, May 20, 2006

Three Wishes

(A post for SundayScribblings)

What would you do if you had three wishes?

Have you ever stopped to think about why the whole concept of three wishes has been around for so long? Do you wonder who came up with the original idea? We have the idea of finding the Magic Lamp and rubbing it. We all keep an eye out at the beach for the bottle that has washed up on the shore waiting to be uncorked. I Dream of Genie still runs in syndication (OK....Barbara Eden was hot so maybe that is why that show endured).

Perhaps three wishes is what starts you on your path to what would make life better. As I look back over the different times of my life, I can't remember what my wishes have ever been. This would lead me to believe that I either didn't play the three wishes game or the wishes didn't seem to have enough meaning that they were worth remembering.

But there is no doubt how I would answer the question now. Or that it will ever change again.

I have been well cared for on this trip on the orb. I don't really know if I was born into poverty but our family wasn't that far from it. Yet, once the surprise of my arrival and early responsibilities of caring for me passed, my mom re-entered the work force to address our socio-economic situation. It wasn't long between that time and having the great fortune of a train blowing up our house that my parents had established themselves solidly as part of the middle class. While I can't say that it would have been something that I would have wished for, a train blowing up your house is so improbable that it seems like the only way that it could happen is through an act of divinity. That incident was a major turning point in my life and I often comment that it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. No, it's not the only piece of good fortune. It's far from it. My record with good fortune is pretty solid.

And it leads me to a simple request.

Yes, ONE simple request.

I have been so well taken care of that, if I can be granted my wish, you can have the other two and use them yourself or give them to someone that needs them more than me.

Give me one day back with my mom. Just give me one day. Let me wrap my arms around her tiny little frame. Squeeze her until it hurts and give her a big kiss. Let me tell her all of the things that I have discovered about her since she was taken away so quickly and unexpectedly 4 years ago. Let me tell her how much I appreciate the sacrifices that she made. Let me tell her how it has only been since her passing that I have unearthed her secrets and how she overcame what so many people today use as excuses. Let me tell her that she has held it in long enough. It's time to have a good cry. And, while she and I were having that first cry, let me tell her, "you done good! You have done so good." And, after we cried a puddle of tears, and when she wanted to cut it short so she could go grab the mop to clean them up, let me tell her, "leave the mess alone. It will still be there tomorrow. I'll take care of it then. Today, we bask in the joy of you overcoming what you overcame to raise three boys and not allow what happened to you as a child ever happen to any of us. Mom, we only have one day. Let's not waste a moment on something as trivial as wiping up the floor. I have things to tell you....like how much I love you. I know, mom, you aren't used to hearing it. None of us are used to saying it."

Yes, give me one day like that and take my other two wishes. Send me a note and tell me what you did with the surplus yearnings that I passed along. I'll make sure that I tell your story along to my mom. After all, they weren't my wishes to give. My mom gave me everything that I needed so it was she that was responsible for my generosity. You have my address. I think she would enjoy hearing what her sacrifice did for you.

15 comments:

Cate said...

This is just beautiful--so poignant and achingly heartfelt. I'm a bit speechless here, but wanted you to know how much you moved me. Thank you.

Amber said...

This was a powerful bit of writing. How good it is that you understand these things about your mom, and how amazing a woman it seems she was. I wish I could grant you your wish.

:)

John E. Tran said...

Wow... very powerful post.

... does a wish coming true in a dream count?

paris parfait said...

Your story is so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing! Really wonderful post.

Catherine said...

That's lovely. "One day with my Mom" really resonates with me. In my case, I'd want her to have the day to get to know her wonderful grandchildren. So, cna I have one of yours for that, and I'll pass the third one along to someone else.

Tammy Brierly said...

Oh my, I was very moved by the love you had for your mom.

My first wish is for children to love their parents and appreciate them.

My second wish is that some day my girls will cry with me before I go.

Thank you, you are a very special person.

Anonymous said...

I know there are no magic words that erase the pain or fill in the hole that's been left behind, because I hold a very similar wish in my heart. This was a beautiful tribute to your mom. Truly beautiful - and I believe beautiful truths endure and have the power to heal.

Jennifer S. said...

Wow, this really helps me remember to treasure the time I have with my parents and my grandma too...

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

The ebb and flow of your writing, the image of the train and seeing it as something positive, the need for closure and expression.
the ache of not having said all that you wish for now.
Though somewhere I beleive she hears you and knowingly smiles gently upon you.

Caroline said...

If your wish could be granted I think you have stated it well enough for it to be heard.

lisrobbe said...

What a touching post and powerful piece of writing. I too wish I could make your dream come true for you.

Anonymous said...

Your story really moved me! Being a mom to a little boy I love hearing stories about men who adore, love, and admire their mothers. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your wish!

Kara said...

This wish touched me and oh how I wish for you it could come true. I read this post a few days ago and came back this morning to read it again. Thank you for this post.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I hope I can be such a mother as she.

-n

papyrus said...

Very moving. Thanks.