Friday, May 05, 2006

Happy Gringo de Mayo

Yes, it is that time of the year again - and I absolutley love the genius of today's marketing machine. Watching good mind control is like listening to a fine symphony to me.

I have all the respect in the world - for our Mexican friends as they choose to celebrate this important day for their culture.

It's the gringo "sheep" that cause hilarity - we know that as they hit the "happy hours" tonight they are going to have no respect for the holiday itself. Of course, a lot of Christmas presents get tossed around at the end of December without anyone knowing why but we'll visit that....again...in December. (SIDENOTE:the fact that we have been sold the concept that ingesting a liquid depressant is "happy hour" is another cause of great entertainment to me...we'll believe anything. We're obedient sheep to the marketing gods)

Cinco de Mayo fascinates me - because this is a "late on the scene" holiday for the North American culture. We certainly didn't celebrate it 25 years ago. Hmmmmm....it makes me wonder....

How did it become this fairly big thing? - and I do call it a big thing. How do I make the distinction? I have done a small random sampling over the years. I have come to the conclusion that when people who are not of the Mexican heritage start going, "what are you doing for Cinco de Mayo?" or generally feel that they are missing out if they are not out celebrating, it's become a significant thing.

How does that happen?
- is it because of all of the immigration that we have seen over the years. Or, could it be that marketers know that when they can plant the concept of a holiday into the sheep's....uh....I mean, people's mind, they spend more money!!!

And, as far as I can see - the money spent on this one is pretty much purely on tequila. OK...Chevy's, that fine "Mexican" restaraunt will do a booming business too. But I think you get my point.

It would be fascinating to see Jose Cuervo's April marketing expenditures for the last 30 years, wouldn't it?
- I bet that trend line has gone up and up and up.


Now...here is a million dollar idea that I am giving away for free
- why? Just because you are a faithful blog reader. And...I like you. All you have to do is find....

A great Russian holiday - see, we have had a lot of immigration from Russia over the last 20 years. That population is due for a day they can call their own here on U.S. turf. You find the holiday and go pitch it to Stoli or Smirnoff. Rather than a tequila holiday or green beer on St Paddy's, you now have a vodka holiday. Americans will flock to it!!! You run with the idea...remember where you got it...and, as you sit in your mansion, just remember poor little me and shoot me "a lil something for the effort."

Hey, I'm not knocking anything - just making an observation. Excercise your lack of independence and follow the instruction of the marketing lords that people turn their brains over to. Have a great time tonight!!!

But please - no tragedies. Designate a driver and/or have a friend that you can call should things go over the line.

Buenos dias

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never thought about it... but yeah... Cinco De Mayo isn't for me as far as I know. I'm not from that culture but more power to you if you are.

-n

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure the Russians have too many holidays to celebrate. What would we drink? Screwdrivers? Vodka Gimlets? Do the Russians even have a decent beer? I don't know, buddy, perhaps we can celebrate Lenin's birthday with a military parade and straight shots of Stoly.......doesn't quite have the same happy ring to it though.